Asher loves this “brana bread” and asks for me to make it whenever he sees a banana.
Yield: 1 large loaf or about 16 cupcake-sized muffins.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 1 large loaf pan or whatever combination of pans you’d like (just be sure to adjust baking time).
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla until the batter is well mixed. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in nuts if using.
- Pour batter into pan and bake. 60-65 minutes for 1 large loaf pan, 16-18 minutes for a cupcake pan, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
(Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.)