In all honesty I haven’t made this yet. A coworker of Eric’s brought these into the office and apparently everyone went crazy over them. Maybe if I post it I’ll remember to make it!
Yield: 2 – 2½ dozen squares
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 7 ounce tube pure almond paste, grated (small holes)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sliced almonds, divided
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325º. Spray 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugar thoroughly in large bowl. Add egg yolk and almond extract and mix. Add grated almond paste. Beat well. Add flour and beat until just blended.
- Pat batter into pan. Beat egg whites until foamy and brush over surface of dough. Scatter ½ cup almonds over top and bake for 30 minutes.
- While still hot, mix glaze ingredients and spread over surface. Sprinkle with additional almonds. Cool and cut into squares.
(From newspaper clipping.)